Phd, membre col·laborador del ERAAUB
I obtained a BA degree in History at the University of Balearic Islands, MA in Antique and Medieval Sciences at the Autonomous University of Barcelona and MA in Archaeology at the University of Barcelona. I am a member or ERAAUB since 2010 taking part in the projects related to the study of the pottery from Sa Mesquida (Mallorca), as well as in the archaeological excavations in Pollentia (Mallorca). In 2018, I obtained my Ph.D., as part of the projects LRCWMED and LRPWESTMED. This research was focused on the archaeometric study of Late Roman coarse wares, especially cooking and some common wares, in Catalonia (northeastern Spain). For this study, I used a combination of analytical techniques, using petrographic analysis, mineralogical and chemical approach, to investigate local productions and short-distance trade networks and economic interactions in the rural area surrounding Barcino and Iluro, in Late Antiquity (4th- early 8th centuries AD).
My current research continues focused on analytical features of ceramic materials of Late Roman and Early Medieval period. I am specially interested in archaeological science methodology, including the use of geology and data analysis, through statistical resources. I am also interested in the transition period from the end of Antiquity and Late Roman to Medieval times in Europe and Mediterranean, in how this process of change and the evolution are reflected in the daily life of the population, taking part of a whole framework of transition.
- Riutort, J., Fantuzzi, L., Cau Ontiveros, M. A. 2022. ‘Production and Distribution of Late Antique utilitarian wares in the micro-region of Vallès (Catalonia, Spain): A perspective from the rural hinterland of Barcino’. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 43(3): 103434. DOI: 10.1016/j.jasrep.2022.103434
- Riutort, J., Cau Ontiveros, M. A. 2021. ‘Late Roman coarse wares from the Roman villa of Torre Llauder (Barcelona, Spain): Archaeometric characterisation’. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 35(1): 102776. DOI: 10.1016/j.jasrep.2020.102776
- Riutort, J., Fantuzzi, L., Cau Ontiveros, M. A. 2020. ‘Cooking and common wares in the Late Antique rural site of Plaça Major de Castellar del Vallès (Catalonia, Spain): Archaeometric characterization’. Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences 12(5): 106. DOI: 10.1007/s12520-020-01051-z
- Riutort, J. 2020. ‘Late Roman Cooking Wares in the area of Barcino and Iluro: From African import to local production’. In C. Viegas (Ed.), Rei Cretariae Romanae Fautorum: Acta 46: Congressus tricesimus primus Rei Cretariae Romanae Fautorum Napocae habitus MMXVIII (pp. 43–48). Archaeopress. DOI: 10.2307/j.ctv1gt94kk.8
- Riutort, J., Cau Ontiveros, M. A., Roig Buxó, J. 2018. ‘Archaeometric characterization of regional Late Antique cooking ware from the area of Vallès (Catalonia, Spain): The case of of two rural sites’. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 21 (1): 1091–1102. DOI: 10.1016/j.jasrep.2017.12.053